I like to get in early with booking my holidays, I love to have something to look forward to. Last year we booked almost a year in advance, so as soon as we got home from Bella Italia this year (OK, full disclosure I may have googled from the deck while there) I started doing research on where to go next.
Around the same time I contacted Canvas Holidays, who we’ve booked our last two camping holidays with to see if they were interested in working with us on our 2020 holiday and they confirmed that they were. Then, Canvas asked where we would like to go.
The problem is that when you have been to somewhere like Bella Italia which has so much to offer the whole family, you’re afraid that nowhere else will measure up. That fear was borne out by the number of people that we met in Bella Italia who were repeat visitors. When looking I knew that I wanted to something similar for this year, but at the same time I wanted to go somewhere I hadn’t been before.
We looked at maybe going to Spain, our last three campsite holidays have been in Italy and we’ve holidayed in Portugal twice recently too so Spain counted as something different for the kids, but I’ve been there numerous times and I wanted something new too. And that’s when Croatia came into my line of sight.
I investigated the options in Croatia further and one site kept being mentioned – Camping Zaton, a four star resort with direct access to a blue flag beach. After looking through photos and reviews online I locked in.
Why did we choose to visit Camping Zaton in Croatia?
When deciding where to go on holidays, I write lists. Here’s the list of why we chose to go to Camping Zaton in Croatia this year.
- We’ve never been to Croatia before, so it’s something new, we’ve heard a lot about the beauty of the Adriatic and how much natural beauty there is in Croatia and wanted to see if for ourselves.
- The campsite gets great reviews ( I think I may have read nearly all of them before we booked)
- The pools on site look fantastic and there’s direct access to a Blue Flag beach. I love some sea air on holiday having grown up and living near the sea now.
- There’s a town 2 miles away (Nin) nearby with restaurants, we like to eat out on holidays and can get bored of campsite restaurants so this is important for us.
- The activities on site seem to match our kids’ ages and interests with a kids’ club and sports activities available too.
- The resort is modern and looks very clean.
- Ryanair fly direct from Dublin to Zadar airport which is 25 minutes away 4 days a week. (They also fly twice a week from Cork if that suits you better.)
- There are lots of day trip possibilities in the national parks (check out Skradinski Buk waterfall in Krka National Park below which is 1 hour 20 mins from the campsite) and boat trips to the islands, we love to not just chill but to have interesting trips to do too!
So list complete we’ve booked nine nights in Zaton resort. We’re flying to Zadar direct with Ryanair (flights are booked since October to get the best prices) and it’s a 25 minute drive from the airport to the campsite. Ryanair fly direct to Zadar from Dublin during the summer season on 4 days every week and from Cork twice a week.
We plan to hire a car to see some of the sites but we also plan to chill by the pool and beach and explore the nearby towns. I can’t wait!
If you haven’t booked your summer holidays yet Canvas Holidays currently have early booking offers running until 13th January, depending on your dates you can save up to 30% and you only need to pay €99 to book now. You can see their offers here.
We’ve always booked on campsite holidays using early booking discounts, it makes holidays so much more affordable for a family.
DISCLOSURE: We’re working with Canvas Holidays for this trip and they are providing our accommodation free of charge at Camping Zaton in return for posts covering our stay. We’ve paid for our own flights and all other holiday expenses will be paid by us. My opinions will, as always, be honest.