Sometimes the thoughts of the whole family sharing one room can be, well, a bit much and having a kitchen can make mealtimes easier and more affordable when you’re travelling with the family. Self-catering is the ideal option, but you end up missing out on hotel amenities. The perfect solution is self-catering accommodation on hotel grounds, but they can be difficult to source and web searches can be a wild goose chase where you get bogged down in information.
So, to make mine and your lives easier I’ve collated this list of self-catering accommodation on hotel grounds in Ireland. I’ve put the list together from my own knowledge, web searches, hotel webpages, Facebook groups and answers from Bumbles of Rice readers on instagram and Facebook. (By the way are you following me there? Click on these links to bring you straight through Bumbles of Rice Facebook and Bumbles of Rice Instagram)
All information was correct at the time this post was published in March 2019 but please check with the hotel before booking as facilities etc change over time.
Have I missed any locations? Some may appear to be left out because they have either changed name or closed, or I was unable to verify the information on them. (I operate a strict “if in doubt, leave it out” policy) If you’d like to add any more self-catering accommodation on hotel grounds in Ireland you can comment below or email me or contact me on any of my social channels, and I will check it out and add here.
Happy holiday booking!
List of Self-Catering Accommodation on Hotel Grounds in Ireland – compiled March 2019
- ANTRIM: Malone Lodge and Apartments, Belfast has one, two and three bedroomed apartments in a building separate to the hotel, but you can enjoy hotel amenities. Ideal for a trip to Titanic.
- CARLOW: Mount Wolseley in Tullow offers 4-bedroomed “Resort Houses” which sleep up to 7. Guests have access to the leisure facilities and kids can use the Teen Zone with Pool Table, Wii, Xbox and chill out area and Soft Play Room with soft mats and soft toys for toddlers and outdoor playground complete with Zip Wire.
- CAVAN: Cabra Castle, Kingscourt. Cottages on site that sleep 8-10, babysitting is offered and the hotel itself is beautiful, but there’s nothing else from a family perspective.
- CAVAN: Farnham Estate has resort lodges on site. There are two and four bedroomed option available. Families can use the pool in the sister hotel which is 12 minutes drive away.
- CLARE: The Falls Hotel & Spa, Ennistymon. Self-catering apartments sleep up to 7 and guests have access to the leisure centre which features a pool, gym and spa. The hotel website notes that these apartments are only accessible via a flight of stairs, therefore they are not wheelchair-accessible.
- CORK: Fota Island Resort. This one was recommended over and over by readers. Luxurious lodges sleep up to 7 and guests have access to hotel amenities including playroom, selected kids’ times at the pool, and kids’ club (additional charges).
- CORK: Castlemartyr Resort Walled Garden Lodges Two bedroomed lodges sleep 5 and are located on the hotel grounds with access to the leisure centre.
- CORK: Inchydoney Island Apartments sleep up to 6 (2 bedrooms and sofa bed) with access to the hotel’s facilities including playroom and limited children’s hour in the pool. The hotel is right on the beach.
- CORK: Clonakilty Park Hotel (Formerly Quality Hotel Clonakilty) Self catering options include 2 bedroom apartment suites and holiday homes with three bedrooms (1 double room, en-suite, a room with a double and single bed and a third room with bunk beds) Guests have full access to hotel amenities including creche for children aged 1-4 (must be booked 24 hours in advance), Indoor play areas (additional charge), and pool. This hotel is very child oriented (We stayed here in 2013 when the kids were 3 months, 2 and 4 as paying guests). The food is also very focussed towards children and during school holidays the kids’ can have a buffet dinner, my lads couldn’t believe they could ask for nuggets and sausage and chips and pasta on the same plate.
10. CORK: Quality Hotel Youghal. Holiday Homes available that sleep up to 7. Amenities include swimming pool, beach a couple of minutes’ walk, kids’ club (extra charge). We’ve stayed here out of season and found the accommodation a little remote, but hear that there’s a good buzz during school holidays.
11. CORK: Vienna Woods Hotel, Cork. Holiday villas on site sleep up to 8 and are very well equipped with mod cons including smoothie makers and George Foreman Grill.
12. CORK: Westlodge Hotel, Bantry. Self catering cottages in the grounds and have access to hotel facilities including pool and kids’ club. We stayed in the hotel in 2017 and really liked it, tons to do in the area with kids.
13. DONEGAL: Lake House Hotel, Portnoo has cottages in the grounds. Note that towels are not provided.
14. DERRY: Roe Park Resort. The Lodge sleeps up to 11 in 5 bedrooms and guests have complimentary access to the resort Health Club.
15. FERMANAGH: Lough Erne Resort has holiday homes in the grounds with access to the hotel including “Ernie’s Den” play area, dining facilities and spa.
16. GALWAY: The Connacht Hotel Self catering apartments are available which can sleep 2 adults and 4 children. The hotel has really good facilities for kids (we stayed as a gifted review in 2016) including pool, games room and kids’ club and there’s always so much to do in Galway.
17. GALWAY: The Clifden Station House Hotel offers 4-star self-catering suites in the hotel courtyard featuring 2 or 3 bedroomed apartments in Clifden town and guests have free wifi and access to the gym and pool. The hotel says the 3 bedroomed sleep 6 but I count enough bed-spaces for 7. We love Clifden, it’s a great location for a family holiday, we spent our summer holidays in Clifden in 2014.
18. KERRY: Parknasilla Lodges, Kenmare. Comes very highly recommended, the Woodland villas have 3 bedrooms. Guest have access to the hotel facilities including kids’ club, kids’ swimming pool hours, games room, fairy trail and organised kids’ activities.
19. KERRY: The Kenmare Bay Hotel & Resort offers both two bed luxury holiday lodges or three bed holiday homes, both on the grounds of the Hotel, where you can enjoy the facilities of the hotel and the hotel’s Health Club. A very popular recommendation of readers.
20. KERRY: Gleneagle Hotel. Offers self-catering apartments on site that sleep up to 5 in 2 bedrooms, amenities include a Leisure Centre and complimentary admission to Gleneagle in-house entertainment.
21. KERRY: Sheen Falls Lodge, Kenmare. Beautiful villas and unlimited use of hotel amenities and services including falconry, clay pigeon shooting and spa on site. A fancier option!
22. KERRY: Derrynane Hotel & Holiday Homes, Ring of Kerry. Five star three and four bedroomed houses on the hotel grounds, close to the beach and in a very picturesque area, the hotel has a spa and outdoor pool.
23. KERRY: Castlerosse Park Resort, Killarney. Holiday homes have two bedrooms both containing a double and single bed. Residents have complimentary access to all hotel facilities including the Leisure Club and spa and free Wifi.
24. KERRY: Scotts Hotel Killarney has five self-catering apartments which can sleep 2 adults and up to 4 children (2 on sofa bed)
25. LAOIS: Heritage Apartments, Killenard. Despite being on the grounds of the Heritage Golf these 2-bedroom apartments have DO NOT have access to the resort’s facilities.
26. LEITRIM: Lough Allen Hotel, Drumshambo has 2 bedroomed apartments with a separate living area. Amenities include kids’ club for school going kids during summer holidays, leisure centre which includes children’s splash pool, pool tables and outdoor play area.
27. LEITRIM: Marina Hotel, Leitrim Village. This hotel has three self catering units in a separate annex. Facilities include a playground and tennis court.
28. LIMERICK: Adare Manor has lodges in the hotel grounds that sleep up to 8, if it’s luxury you’re after these look fabulous. There are the expected luxury amenties, spa, leisure centre etc but children’s hours in the pool are limited to 8.30am – 10.30am for children under 16. You should also note the child policy in the dining facilities of the hotel.
29. MAYO: Mulranny Suites, Mulranny. Self catering units with full access to hotel amenities including Leisure Centre, very close to the beach.
30. MAYO: Mount Falcon offers a variety of lodges with 3 and 4 bedroomed options. Guests have access to the leisure centre and kids’ club during the school holidays.
31. MAYO: Breaffy Woods, Castlebar. Self catering guests have access to the resort facilities including leisure centre and gym.
32. MEATH: Knightsbrook Hotel, Trim. Luxury self catering units offer three en-suite bedrooms and has access to the hotel facilities including gym and pool. Drop in childminding for kids aged 1-6 is also available from 9.30am to 12.30pm, book one day in advance.
33. MEATH: The Johnstown Estate, Enfield. Offers 2 bedroom lodges on site with access to all hotel amenities including pool and spa.
34. MONAGHAN: Castle Leslie, Glaslough. Self catering options included cottage in Glaslough village or on the edge of the estate. Guests in both enjoy the facilities of the estate including spa and activities.
35. ROSCOMMON: Kilronan Castle, Keadue. Three bed holiday houses 5 minutes walk from reception in the grounds of the castle hotel, guests may use the hotel pool.
36. SLIGO: Castle Dargan, Ballygawley. Apartments and lodges on hotel grounds, golf and spa on site.
38. TIPPERARY: Kilcoran Lodge Hotel, Cahir. Three bedroomed houses on hotel grounds, access to leisure facilities in hotel but additional charge applies.
39. TIPPERARY: Aherlow House Hotel, Glen of Aherlow. Self-Catering lodges and family packages including hot chocolate on arrival for the kids and nature walks on site to find the fairies.
40. WATERFORD: Park Hotel, Dungarvan has holidays home on site. Guests have access to the leisure centre and the hotel has a kids’ club during the school holidays. (We stayed in this hotel in April 2019 check our review here, we were paying guests)
41. WATERFORD: Gold Coast Resort, Dungarvan. Variety of self catering accommodation, guests can avail of hotel facilities including leisure centre.
42. WATERFORD: Faithlegg House Hotel, Faithlegg. Residents of the mews houses in the hotel grounds can use the leisure centre, tennis courts and playground on site.
43. WESTMEATH: Annebrook House Hotel, Mullingar has apart-hotel suites in an urban location.
44. WEXFORD: Whitford House Hotel, Wexford. The Brambles is a four bed self-catering unit on the hotel grounds, it sleeps up to 8 and guests can use the hotel facilities including leisure centre and playground.
45. WEXFORD: Stonebridge Suites at Talbot Hotel Wexford offer a variety of self-catering options in the heart of Wexford town. Guest can use Talbot Leisure Centre.
46. WEXFORD: Upton Court Hotel, Kilmuckridge. Holiday cottages on site, hotel has children’s entertainment three nights a week during the summer.
Where will you go?